Bode has developed a forensic genealogy program designed to ensure the highest level of quality at all stages of the process.
Bode’s team of experts have a proven track record of successes while maintaining a high level of quality in the testing and investigative processes. Working with Bode offers our clients the following advantages:
- Case and Feasibility Review
- Simplified Submission Process
- Sample Quality Verification and Troubleshooting
- DNA Extractions at an ISO Accredited Lab
- DNA Typing/ SNP Testing at a CAP/CLIA Accredited Lab
- Multiple DNA Databases
- Board Certified/ experienced Genealogy Team
- Ongoing monitoring of submitted samples
- Confirmation Testing
Not every case is a good candidate for forensic genealogy. It’s important to work the best samples and cases in order to utilize time and funding effectively and efficiently to support an investigation.
Bode’s experienced scientists will review DNA case files and reports to identify which cases and samples are eligible candidates prior to submitting the case for testing.
Contact Bode’s Forensic Genealogy team to learn more or discuss a particular case.
Bode offers a one-stop, turn-key solution for genealogy cases. After providing the case file for review and making the decision to move forward, samples can simply be submitted to Bode and we will handle the rest.
This includes a documented chain-of-custody, verifying the quantity of DNA, managing the sample through the collection process, delivering reports to support the investigation, and continual monitoring of samples.
Throughout the course of the project, Bode’s genealogy team will interact regularly with investigators to efficiently drive the investigations.
Cases requiring genealogy are often cold cases where evidence or extracts may not be ideal for testing. Additionally, many of these cases may have been processed using older technologies.
As part of our case intake, Bode will review both the case files and the evidence itself for best success. This includes:
- Confirmation of DNA quantity: Technologies have improved over time. Bode performs a quantification verification step on the DNA extracts prior to sending the sample for SNP analysis. This helps ensure that enough sample is available for SNP testing.
- Sample troubleshooting: If samples quantify at a lower rate, Bode can provide recommendations and solutions to investigators to prevent expensive and time-consuming SNP typing failures. This may include suggestions for finding additional evidence or performing new DNA extractions.
- New/ additional extractions: In the event that there isn’t enough quality sample, Bode can provide new extractions at our accredited facility to help obtain more sample prior to SNP analysis.
These steps can help lead to better testing results, saving valuable time and money.
Handling of DNA evidence properly is always critical in the investigative steps. Within the Bode FGS program, all DNA extractions and quantifications performed are done at our ISO 17025 and AABB accredited laboratory.
Bode’s experience and commitment to quality has helped us develop innovative solutions to more effectively obtain quality DNA sample from evidence for analysis.
Through our commitment to quality, Bode FGS’s testing partner is a CAP/ CLIA certified lab with specific experience in handling forensic evidence.
A laboratory that has been accredited by the College of American Pathologists (CAP) and has Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) certification, is one that meets industry standards for clinical testing and demonstrates that it operates with the highest standards of quality, accuracy, and consistency.
Most genealogy service offerings utilize GEDMatch to identify individuals. Through Bode’s partnerships, Bode FGS also searches profiles in an additional DNA database that contains additional profiles. This additional database greatly expands the pool of profiles that could support developing a family tree to identify suspects of crimes or the remains of deceased individuals.
Utilizing a team of experienced and board certified genealogists can help develop these investigative leads and produce cleaner investigations. Evaluating credible sources, applying stringent quality and ethical standards, and employing diverse investigative methods all help in solving complex problems of identity and kinship.
Throughout the course of the investigation, the genealogy team will regularly be in touch with the investigators to help drive research and effectively support the investigation.
Featured Genealogist: Melinde Lutz Byrne, CG, FASG
- Certified Genealogist® from the Board for Certification of Genealogists®
- Fellow and former president, American Society of Genealogists
- Forensic and Genetic Genealogy program director at Boston University
- Former co-editor of National Genealogical Society Quarterly
Not every case will result in a match. Bode’s FGS team will continue to monitor the samples within the databases, even after the initial report goes to our clients. With thousands of new profiles entered into both databases every month, even initially unfeasible cases may generate leads in the future.
In the event an investigation is successful and a suspect or individual is identified, Bode can provide 1:1 confirmation testing in our ISO 17025 accredited laboratory and generate a court-ready report for our clients. This 1:1 testing is important to confirm the results of the forensic genealogy investigation and to present results that can be used in court.
Bode FGS - Case Submission
Contact Bode if you would like to discuss submitting a case. Bode's Technical Services team can help answer any questions that you have on your case.
Phone: (703) 646-9740
To submit a case, complete the Case Submission Form.
Click here for more information on Case Submission